My husband, Frank, wanted to start a blog. He suggested that I start one too. "What are you talking about," I said, "I have nothing NEW to say!" I still stand by that statement, but it got me thinking. Recently, I have been spending alot of time thinking about social issues and social problems. I often wonder why we act the way we do as a society and what makes societal attitudes shift from acceptance to abhorrence or why some issues have become taboo and not others. And God (aside from religion being it's own hot topic) cares tremendously about these issues. He cares about them much more than we do ~ and these are the things that protests, riots, violence, petitions, and freedoms are made of.
As I began to think, I realized that maybe God wanted me to talk about it. And that made me feel a little uncomfortable. Honestly, it scares me and this is why: Somewhere down the line in history, social issues became partisan issues. But God is not partisan. He does not lean to the left, nor to the right. He does not love some people and not others. He cares about social issues because a society is made up of people ~ all different kinds of people. God is passionate about people. He DIED for people. There is no doubt in my mind that God cares about such things as abortion, feminism, and racism. He cares about anything that effects our heart, mind, and soul. We are deeply effected by the decisions we make and attitudes we hold ~ towards each other and ourselves ~ whether it is individually or collectively. And these things that effect us can either draw us closer to Christ or hinder our relationship with Him. As a Christian, I know that there is NOTHING more important than having Jesus lead our lives. So I am convinced that God and society are not separate issues.
My goal with this blog is not to push my "agenda" on others, but to provoke thought ~ and, hopefully, discussion. But the most important thing is that God is seen in all of this and that He is glorified by the beliefs that we hold and the attitudes that come from those beliefs. So this is the implied question to each blog:
Are we in harmony with God's perfect and loving plan for our lives?
Thanks for reading my blog! Don't forget to participate in my poll!!
~ Lester
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This will be very interesting... I love what you have to say and appreciate your thoughts and convictions very much.
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to "staying tuned in"
et